[CT Birds] Norwalk Islands terns

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 07:51:08 EDT 2015

Yesterday afternoon (via boat) there were many terns scattered south
of the Norwalk Islands, with a steady movement to the west for a good
hour or so. Among the Common Terns were a single FORSTER'S TERN and 10

I set up a fish oil slick in the middle of the sound for over an hour
on the off chance a Cory's Shearwater had moved into the western
sound, but no luck there. Certainly the further east you can get, the

This Cory's Shearwater event in eastern LIS is pretty amazing. To have
any shearwaters of any species in Long Island Sound without the help
of a tropical storm is just incredibly rare.

While out there I kept an eye open for the Humpback Whale that was
seen off the Milford coast on Sunday afternoon. No sign of it though.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT