[CT Birds] A bit of good news for a change

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Sep 1 16:19:51 EDT 2015

Last night, the Bahamian government announced the new 113,920-acre Joulter Cays National Park, in part thanks to Audubon's efforts. Audubon has been collaborating with the Bahamas National Trust on the proposal for the new national park since our findings<https://www.audubon.org/magazine/november-december-2012/solving-piping-plover-puzzle> (https://www.audubon.org/magazine/november-december-2012/solving-piping-plover-puzzle ) from 2012 research expeditions, led by Matt Jeffery and Walker Golder.

As a national park, the Joulter Cays will now be protected in perpetuity from damaging practices such as sand mining, to preserve essential ecosystem functions while also ensuring a sustainable local economy. This will ensure that animals like Piping Plovers and Red Knots have a safe and sustainable place to reside for years to come and is a powerful testament to the partnership in the Americas and the role that Audubon plays.

Information is up on our website's homepage today:
http://www.audubon.org/

https://www.audubon.org/conservation/joulter_cays

A press release was distributed this morning, direct link here:
https://www.audubon.org/news/new-bahamas-national-park-will-protect-migratory-piping-plovers-red-knots-other

Interactive map that tracks our pink banded Piping Plovers, direct link here:
https://www.audubon.org/conservation/pink_banded_plovers

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation