[CT Birds] Long Is. Sound boat 9/1

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 2 06:53:28 EDT 2015

On Tues., 9/1,  I conducted an 11- hour bird survey of Long Island Sound by boat, traveling from Milford west, 1-2 miles offshore, to Greenwich, then back east mid-Sound. (We also traveled in NY from Rye to Execution Rocks, then back east along the LI waters; but I'm only reporting on CT).

Highlights were 2 (juvenile) Bonaparte's Gulls, 534 Laughing Gulls, 1175 Common Terns, 3 Roseate Terns, and 1 Forster's Tern. The largest tern concentrations were between Milford and Fairfield. There wasn't much mid-Sound. I did not see any seabirds or marine mammals (except for an unidentified mammal - seal?).

Frank Mantlik
Stratford

Sent from my iPhone