[CT Birds] Cory's Shearwater from the New London ferry

Sara Zagorski penguinsz at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 2 20:07:59 EDT 2015

9/2 - Today was the first day I was able to go out and look for the previously reported Cory's Shearwater being seen from the Orient Pt ferry from New London. I took the 1 pm boat, the John H, which is the best boat, as the top deck is open at the front of the boat.

Conditions were tough on the way over, very calm seas but going directly into bright sun with lots of haze. I diligently scanned all the way over, disappointed to not even see a Cory's in NY waters.  On the way back, with the sun behind us, there were perfect viewing conditions. Made it to the Ct line with nothing, but then spotted a  bird in front of and to the right of the boat, sitting on the water. Brown on top, white underneath. I raced to the opposite railing and got a good look before the boat flushed it and I could see the yellow bill. It started heading towards NY but then did a graceful arc and began its undulating flight on top of the water in the same direction as the boat was going. I enjoyed watching it, then fumbled with my phone to make certain I was in CT - yes! - then went back to the bird, which I didn't see. I scanned all around the area on both sides of the boat and spotted a Cory's on the same side flying parallel to the boat in our same direction but it was more distant than my first viewing. Not sure if it was the same bird or possibly a second. I will go with a report of one bird.

I was lucky enough to be at the Cape in July and enjoyed the thousands of Cory's Shearwaters being seen off Provincetown, off the beach at Race Point and on a mini-pelagic with Blair Nikula. I also saw them on the BBC Aug. Pelagic (Best. Pelagic.Ever!) How great to be able to see a Cory's in Long Island Sound.

Thanks to all the birders who shared reports.

Sara Zagorski
Wethersfield

Sent from my iPhone