[CT Birds] Probable Common Ringed-Plover Stratford Point

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Sep 3 20:22:21 EDT 2015

As of when I left it hadn't be definitively located.   I am reasonably sure of the call I heard earlier and that it was slightly larger than the adjacent Semipalmated Plovers in the flock.  Jory and Aiden heard a bird that they think sounded right, but all we could locate was a juvenile plover with a super-dupercillium, but not with much else going for it in the way of being anything but a Semipalmated Plover.

I'm interested to hear Steve's thoughts on how well the bird we heard matches up with Common Ringed Plover in his opinion and memory.

If anyone is going to look for the bird tomorrow, Short Beach may be the place to look in the morning as the tide is going out.  High tide isn't until later in the day.  IT is a few hours either side of high tide that the Point is best for shorebirds.

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut