[CT Birds] New London Ferry, Pomarine Jaeger but Little Else

mresch8702 at aol.com mresch8702 at aol.com
Thu Sep 3 20:25:13 EDT 2015

As Frank Mantlik reported for me earlier, I took the 11 AM ferry on the John M from New London.  While in CT waters (but just barely) I spotted a Pomarine Jaeger that eventually made it into NY waters.  Here is the description I put in e-bird -

Adult or near adult, flying south slowly within 75 ft along with the boat, then landed on the water (by then in NY waters).  Total viewing time at least a minute.  First noticed without binoculars as a dark gull-like bird flying with bright white flashes in the primaries .  When getting it in my 10X binoculars I could see the black cap and pale neck, and dark wings and body.  Bird was very heavy-bodied with broad wings.  Central tail feathers were long, but not pointed, though too far away to see if tail feathers were twisted.

It was close enough that I pointed it out to a non-birding passenger standing next to me.

Couldn't come up with any shearwaters though.  Winds were almost calm, which is not the best condition for shearwaters to be flying.  Water was very smooth so I could see many birds resting on the water, including a large flock of mostly Laughing Gulls and Common Terns in CT waters, but I couldn't come up with a shearwater.

Also of note were quite a number of swallows migrating south over the sound.  Most that were close enough to identify were Trees, with a few Barns mixed in.

Mike Resch
www.statebirding.blogspot.com
Pepperell, MA