[CT Birds] Pine Creek

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 09:09:38 EDT 2015

Pine Creek in Fairfield was slow this morning. I did not end up covering
the entirety of my usual route, as there just wasn't enough activity to
make it worthwhile. Instead, I did about 60% of it, hitting the landfill,
the thicket behind the ballfield, and the Ditch Trail. I managed
thirty-seven species (about thirty less than the number Pine Creek produces
on a good day), of which six were warblers (Ovenbird, Northern Waterthrush,
Black-and-white, Common Yellowthroat, Yellow, and Canada).

Today was one of those weird days in which the morning does not speak for
the very active radar the night before. I am very puzzled by this
'phenomenon'; it doesn't really make much sense to me. I know migrants can
be really patchy; overflowing at one place and in desperate scarcity at
another. But Pine Creek is typically good on any 'good' day of fall
migration in Connecticut. Therefore, I'm not really sure what to make of
this morning. I can say that when I arrived, conditions did not feel like
what is typical of a good fall movement, but instead quite the opposite
(hot and humid versus cool and fairly dry). Hopefully the next bout of N
winds pays better dividends. If anyone with more experience than I has any
thoughts on this, I would love to hear them!

Alex Burdo
Fairfield