[CT Birds] Robins

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Sat Sep 5 12:27:32 EDT 2015

I've had a few queries about the lack of robins this year, concentrated around northern CT.  I suspect the dry weather is making them head south early.   I had expected that the harsh winter would have taken its toll on our local robins, but our breeding numbers were at 100% of average statewide on the Summer Bird Count.  This makes me suspect it is late summer conditions that are influencing the apparent lack of robins in some parts of the state.

A correction on my earlier post about the grasses at Wethersfield/Rocky Hill Meadows.   What I referred to as canary grass may be yellow foxtail.  The seed heads look similar to a foxtail, but are straight rather than curved.  Not canary grass in any case.