[CT Birds] Sunday ferry ride from New London

Sara Zagorski penguinsz at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 7 08:46:02 EDT 2015

This is to follow up on my post from yesterday about our sightings from the Orient Pt ferry yesterday afternoon. We took the Mary Ellen at 12 noon and saw the Parasitic Jaeger just before the New York line. We thought this bird did not have as much white as the bird we saw on Sat., but after looking at pictures it was declared to be the same bird.

In the Orient Pt harbor we saw thousands of Tree Swallows in the air.  Someone said that these birds go over to CT to join in the swallow spectacle. We also had 3 Common Eider in the harbor.

On the way back from NY just before the CT line we had a Cory's Shearwater, so they are still around.

When we got into New London there were a lot of gulls sitting on the water. We found a jaeger attacking a Laughing Gull, but it was in front of the sun and the glare made it difficult to view. We did not pick up the white flashes but it was probably the same jaeger. This bird is right in the harbor and can probably be seen from Avery Pt.

Sara Zagorski

Sent from my iPhone