[CT Birds] Livingston Ripley Waterfowl Conservancy

chogan at lrwc.net chogan at lrwc.net
Fri Sep 11 15:13:29 EDT 2015

Unlike the Bronx Zoo or the Central Park Zoo (both have many of our
birds) the Livingston Ripley Waterfowl Conservancy (LRWC) is not a park
or a zoo. We are a nonprofit organization providing valuable
environmental education programs to schools in Connecticut and New York.
The waterfowl collection is primarily an educational resource and our
educational programs are aligned with the Connecticut Science Standards.
The Conservancy reaches over 1200 students a year either on-site or in
the class room. Along with our mission of educating the next generation
of conservationists and the full time responsibilities that come with
the care of some 450 birds, the Conservancy has always welcomed
photographers, and will continue to do so in the future, but under
circumstances that protect our birds.
Visitors with personal cameras are always welcomed during the days we
are open to the public: Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
from April 1st to November 30th. Visitor tour groups may be accommodated
by calling our office for an appointment 860-567-2062 or by email
www.info at lrwc.net. Photographers with professional equipment including
telephoto lenses, tripods and monopods are welcome to take photos during
the week, by appointment with the Photographer's Pass. The Pass is $100
for a half-day (dawn to 12:00pm or 12:00pm to sunset), and photographers
are allowed inside the enclosures. The Photographer's Pass can be
obtained at any time during the year as long as it is on a weekday. This
program has been well received and draws photographers from all over the
United States and Canada.

The Conservancy is looking forward to welcoming members of the
Connecticut birding community with new opportunities being developed by
Ben Sonnenberg, Director of Education. Ben is evaluating several
different programs for birders including waterfowl identification,
birding by ear, and conservation challenges that face the world's most
endangered waterfowl species. Look for future postings with dates and
times for theses new programs.

Livingston Ripley Waterfowl Conservancy

55 Duck Pond Road, Post Office Box 210
Litchfield, Connecticut, 06759, USA