[CT Birds] Boothe Park Hawk Watch 09/11/15

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Fri Sep 11 22:24:29 EDT 2015

Boothe Memorial Park
Stratford, Connecticut, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 11, 2015

Black Vulture                0              2              2
Turkey Vulture               3              3              3
Osprey                     107            170            170
Bald Eagle                  12             20             20
Northern Harrier             1              1              1
Sharp-shinned Hawk          41             44             44
Cooper's Hawk                3              3              3
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk            8             17             17
Red-tailed Hawk              0              0              0
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel             9             11             11
Merlin                       5              5              5
Peregrine Falcon             0              1              1
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               2              2              2

Total:                     191            279            279

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end   time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter:        Bill Banks, Scott Kruitbosch, Tom Murray

Observers:        Bill Banks, Charlie Barnard, Dave Zawisha, Frank Mantlik,
                   Ron Pelletier, Tom Murray

Approximately 15 park visitors or volunteers stopped by to chat or inquire
what we were doing. Otherwise it was pro observers only.

A cold front featuring waves of heavy rain moved offshore overnight with
the remnants still pushing through New England this morning. Cloud cover
persisted through the morning only to be replaced by additional clouds as
the low tried to unsuccessfully develop precipitation back to the W. Drier
air moved in on a weak high during the afternoon, giving us some fair
weather clouds. The wind was strongest from the departing low, though
mostly only 4-7MPH with an occasional 8-12MPH burst, all from the NE. The
high shifted the wind to the N and slightly NW before the count ended.
Temperatures beat expected highs as we neared 80 with still sticky air. Low
levels were turbulent and faster early in the morning, possibly being why
we peaked in flight then.

Raptor Observations:
We set our all-time OSPR daily record at 107 breaking the previous high of
67 on 09/16/12. We would have broken it last Friday, 09/04/15, when we had
61 in only 3.5 hours but lacked coverage. All 8 BWHA were single birds. We
had a variety of tracks but the most common one was probably nearly due W.
They were at the limit of binocular range once the thermals came up, and we
likely still missed some despite the clouds. There was no perceptible drop
down period. The lunchtime lull was severe. We had several local RTHA,
TUVU, OSPR, PEFA, and BAEA, plus at least 21 BLVU. The counted migrant TUVU
were a group choice based on their height, track, wings and lack of

Non-raptor Observations:
Southbound migrants included:
American Black Duck  2
Chimney Swift  81
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  7
Tree Swallow  69
Barn Swallow  10
Cedar Waxwing  25

Migrants in the park included:
None because the front was still pushing through overnight. Tomorrow will
be a very different story.

Light and variable somewhat N winds should shift more S or SE. It may be
decent early but probably will be slower overall.
Report submitted by Scott Kruitbosch (skruitbosch at rtpi.org)
Boothe Memorial Park information may be found at:

Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator
311 Curtis Street
Jamestown, NY 14701