[CT Birds] Question about bird houses over the winter

Katherine Kuckens katkuckens at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 13:35:22 EDT 2015

Every year in the late fall I take down all my bird houses, empty and scrub
them, and store them in the basement.  Thought this is what you're supposed
to do.

Last year, in early December, a male Carolina Wren appeared, and stayed,
calling a lot.  A few days later his calling paid off, and a female joined
him.  I enjoyed their antics tremendously and kept them supplied with
sunflower seed and various suets.  They seemed fine for several months.
But then, after one of the fierce February storms, I found the male dead on
top of the snow. I was heartbroken.  Subsequently I heard from birders that
the Carolinas need shelter to survive New England winters.  Even such
things as a cloth closepin bag could keep them alive.

So -- what is the expert advice?  Don't take down the birdhouses?  Hang up
something else just for the winter? What, and where?

Thanks,

Katherine Kuckens