[CT Birds] Plainfield Shovelers

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Mon Sep 14 20:10:40 EDT 2015

Passing along the message copied below.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT

Evening CTBirders,

I stopped at the Quinebaug Valley Fish Hatchery on my way home today to unwind and do some birding. Things were pretty quiet until I got to the hatchery itself, where 50+ waterbirds were feeding. It was mostly Mallards and 10 or so cormorants, but there were also 7 Northern Shovelers mixed in. They were all in their nonbreeding plumage, but it was still cool to see them filter feeding up close.

It seems like Shovelers are making a decent movement in SE New England this fall, with birds also reported from Worcester Co., Mass, and at Trustom Pond NWR in RI.
Full list here:

Good birding!
Dylan Pedro, Burrillville, RI