[CT Birds] Bluff Point Tuesday 9/15

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 16 08:12:36 EDT 2015

9/15.  Bluff Point SP, Groton.  Greg Hanisek, Nick Bonomo, Glenn Williams (in part), Chip Moseley (in part), and I birded Bluff Point's "hot corner" early (6:25-8:00), hoping for a big "morning flight", given the light NW winds overnight and pre-dawn.  It was a fair push, but much less than hoped for.  We walked the trails for about an hour afterwards. We saw a cumulative 53 bird species, including 155 warblers of 12 species. Many went unidentified as they blasted out of the woods overhead, heading NW.  The most numerous warbler species were American Redstart, Magnolia Warbler, and Black-throated Blue Warbler. The highlight was a CONNECTICUT WARBLER that Nick identified from photos after the fact.  Surprisingly we saw no thrushes other than Robins.Full checklist is on eBird.
Frank Mantlik
Stratford