[CT Birds] Boothe Park Hawk Watch 09/14/15

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Mon Sep 14 17:32:07 EDT 2015

May not have time to do the full report tonight, so the short summary is
at the Boothe Memorial Park hawk watch in Stratford today we had 102
raptors in 7.25 hours - 71 Osprey, 12 Bald Eagle, 15 Sharp-shinned Hawk,
2 Broad-winged Hawk, 2 American Kestrel. This fits the (relatively)
dismal performance of what I've heard or seen so far at other sites.
Lighthouse probably won, huh?

Post cold front, strong WNW winds, decent clouds, dry conditions,
September 14. Go figure. I'd guess/hope it has something to do with the
birds being bottled up further north than us still for so long with the
heat waves and low pressure systems as of late. September 15/16 have
been traditionally superb Broad-wing flight days, so let's hope they
moved into our range today and will descend on us tomorrow with similar
conditions though probably lighter winds and fewer clouds (ugh).

Scott

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator