[CT Birds] Jaeger update

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Sep 17 14:00:52 EDT 2015

The first look was a lightning strike of the flock as I was standing on the porch with Scott talking about upcoming events and looking through my scope.  I passed the scope to Scott, but the bird was already gone.  A few minutes later Scott found the bird making another pass and it flew off toward the west (towards Long beach and Russian Beach) and I was able to get a few grainy shots.  I'm thinking it is likely Parasitic and is a very dark bird.  I haven't completely ruled out Pom, but perhaps the photos will tell the tale.  The bluefish are back and there is a big group of terns and laughing gulls working the boils.   It would pay for folks to keep an eye on things this afternoon.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road