[CT Birds] Season for Nothern Wheatear

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Thu Sep 17 22:18:29 EDT 2015

While I was with a group of birders at Stratford Point this afternoon someone asked about when Northern Wheatear come through.  I had a vague memory that it was a rather narrow window, so I just checked the invaluable January 2005 issue of The Connecticut Warbler, Connecticut Birds by the Season.  This contains Greg Hanisek's tour de force, graphs of when each species is likely to occur in Connecticut.  This confirmed that the usual migration period for Northern Wheatear is the 2nd half of September.

For those who don't have a copy of that issue of the Warbler, I have seen them for sale at the COA annual meeting, as well as at some birding supply stores.  And a copy can be downloaded from the COA web site as a pdf file, as can all but the most recent issues of the Warbler.  There is even an INDEX to them all that can be downloaded or searched on-line.  A great resource, and I suspect one that is not widely known.

As one example of what great stuff awaits the curious, I searched the index for Wheatear.  There are two dedicated articles, and over a half dozen references in other articles.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT