[CT Birds] Stratford Point birds/weather

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Sat Sep 19 19:20:46 EDT 2015

Today was the quietest day of the week at Stratford Point, lacking any
offshore feeding of terns or gulls in any number, and thus no jaegers. I
didn't see the Harlequin Duck (nor the whale) but the site was very busy
with fishing and boating and random visitors which often keeps birds
more out of sight. I would think he's around somewhere given all of his
preening.

You can see a short video of him doing just that here:
http://rtpi.org/harlequin-duck-video/
And a couple photos here: http://rtpi.org/harlequin-duck/

While we're at it, here are a couple of the Yellow-billed Cuckoo from
the other day: http://rtpi.org/yellow-billed-cuckoo-coccyzus-americanus/

That and other passerine migrants may have stuck around through the week
once migration conditions dropped off thanks to the degrading high
moving east and a daily hot sea breeze. Tomorrow should be interesting
as the cold front comes through early morning. It may drag many raptors
with it immediately and throughout the day then really move a lot of
passerines for Monday morning.

Scott

--
Scott Kruitbosch