[CT Birds] Migrating RT Hummingbirds

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 20 20:16:40 EDT 2015

This is certainly consistent with the regular, and sometimes huge, hummingbird flights we get at Lighthouse Point in New Haven in the first half of September. These birds are hugging the coast and zooming across New Haven harbor, so no doubt some venture out over the Sound, or in some cases come into the Point from over the water. The highest count was 460+ (basically far off the charts) on a Labor Day several years ago (don't have the exact date at my finger tips but it was around 9/6.) Since then we also had a count of 200+ and this past Monday we had 125. More typical good days produce 40 to 70. These are fly-by, directional migrants, following the typical CT fall coastal pattern of many birds - E to W - to avoid a direct crossing of Long Island Sound. However some species, especially waterfowl, head due S over the Sound toward Long Island.
Greg HanisekWaterbury