[CT Birds] Mansfield Purple Galinule

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Sep 28 19:13:48 EDT 2015

There is one thing about this bird I haven't seen others  mention yet. The
bird appears to have a damaged left wing, (first noticed by  Phil Rusch, I
believe), and I suspect it can fly very little, if at  all.  The wing hangs
several inches lower than the right one, and  flops when the bird walks.
I managed to get some very poor pictures of the bird, but the  sequence  in
the link below shows the wing fairly clearly I  think.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/atwx6fto4hntfs4/AADYk1NWp3sb6bzlIcw6ecf7a?dl=0

This may affect anyone who would like to go see this bird,  since I really
don't believe it will be able to leave any time soon. (directions  posted by
others). After discussions today it appears there are less than 10
previous records of Purple Galinule in Ct.
I think it would be a good idea to get the bird to a rehabber,  but it is
in a very difficult location, even though easy to see for long periods  of
time.

Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct.
mntncougar at aol.com