[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club October Events

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Mon Sep 28 21:43:15 EDT 2015

Folks:

Please note the following schedule of October NHBC activities.

Indoor Meeting:

Thursday, October 8, 2015 — Dave Winston.  Love Your Patch! Whitney Center Cultural Arts Center, 200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden, CT. Free and open to the public.  Social half-hour at 7:00, program begins at 7:30.  For more information: 203-331-6067 or www.newhavenbirdclub.org <http://www.newhavenbirdclub.org/>.  Birders often have a favorite “patch,” a birding spot they love to visit again and again. But how do we take care of those beloved haunts, for our own and others’ future enjoyment? Tonight’s speaker has plenty of suggestions and he’s eminently qualified to deliver them.  A lifelong and Master Gardener who spent three years at the NY Botanical Garden,  he  has been president of the Board as well as Head Steward of Stamford’s 83-acre IBA Cove Island Wildlife Sanctuary since its inception in 2006. Basically, it’s all about stewardship, with a long term view being critical. But what exactly does that mean?  On our patch, we must look to the protection of the soil biology, plants, insects, invertebrates, small and larger mammals, and the birds that we hold so dear.  For example, how do we manage the forces of ecological succession to maintain desired habitat—because plant life changes with the succession and food quality is affected.  Some plants provide berries for birds; others, food for insects, which are important food sources for birds.  And different plants offer their food at different times of year: some provide berries in winter; others, in June.  Ideally, we want to assure bountiful food and shelter during migration times. How do we accomplish all of this? These considerations and questions are just some that Dave will help us ask and answer as we look for ways to provide the richest possible habitats for our wildlife. Dave’s talk, drawing as it does on the manifold lessons he’s learned managing Cove Island’s habitat,  will be a veritable classroom for the rest of us.

Field Trips:

Kellogg Environmental Center/Osbornedale State Park, Derby.  Saturday, October 3, 2015, 7:30 am. Free and open to the public. Here’s a chance to visit an outstanding birding spot that boasts a variety of habitats—open fields, woodlands, and ponds. We’ll look for fall migrants, including warblers, sparrows, flycatchers, and vireos. Meet at the Kellogg Center parking lot at 500 Hawthorne Ave., Derby.  Leader: Maria Stockmal: 203-305-3728 or m.stockmal at snet.net <mailto:m.stockmal at snet.net>.

First Wednesday Walk: Lighthouse Point Park, New Haven. Wednesday, October 7, 2015 8:00 am.  Free and open to the public. Join us on a visit to this premier local birding location, renowned for its migrating raptors and passerines.  If the weather conditions are favorable, we may see hundreds of hawks in flight over the park. Meet at the hawk watch site inside the park. Leader: Frank Mantlik, 203-984-9410.  Lighthouse Point Park is part of the New Haven Parks Dept.

THE BIG SIT!®  Saturday and Sunday, October 10-11, 2015. Free and open to the public.  Established by NHBC, The Big Sit!® has become an international event, with birders participating on four continents. The object is to record as many species of birds as possible in a single day from one 17-foot diameter circle. The circles for the event are located strategically at a number of birding hotspots in the state. Join other birders in one of these circles or create one of your own! You don’t have to be a hard-core birder to join in the fun. The event is now run by Bird Watcher’s Digest. For details, go to the Bird  Watcher’s  Digest  website: <birdwatchersdigest.com> or contact—John Triana: 203.758.7203, jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net.

Beginners’ Bird Walk at Griswold Point, Old Lyme.  Sunday, Oct. 11th, 2015, 2:30-5:30 pm. Free and open to the public.  Located at the mouth of the CT River, Griswold Point provides important stopover habitat for shorebirds and songbirds in the fall.   On this walk, we will scan the coastline for late migrating shorebirds and look for Saltmarsh and Nelson's Sparrows along the edges of the marsh. The Saltmarsh Sparrow is globally vulnerable and fall migration offers a great opportunity to glimpse this species.  This walk is geared to beginners but birders of all levels and families are welcome. More advanced birders can enjoy a day out while providing support and inspiration to the newcomers. We’ll meet at the town parking lot at the end of White Sands Beach Rd.  NOTE: moderately strenuous trip; we’ll walk about 2 miles, partially over sand. Leader: Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe: 203-630-9640 (home--preferred), 203-233-0535 (cell--only morning of trip) or  cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org <mailto:cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org>
Hammonasset State Park, Madison. Saturday, October 17, 2015, 8:00 am. Free and open to the public.  Visit one of Connecticut's best fall birding spots, where the abundance of some migrants and sightings of less common species can make for a truly memorable trip. The walking is easy, as it is on level ground.  Meet at the park entrance (I-95 to exit 62).  Leader: Flo McBride: 203 288-6777 or  fmcb_warbler at yahoo.com <mailto:fmcb_warbler at yahoo.com>.

Beacon Cap, Bethany.  Sunday, October 18, 2015, 8:00 am.  Free and open to the public.  Join us for a short, but strenuous, hike up to Beacon Cap on the Naugatuck Trail in Bethany.  We will look for late fall migrants as we go up to a glacial erratic at the top of a hill.  Even if the birding is slow, we should have good color to enjoy on the foliage overlooking Rt. 63 in Bethany.  Be prepared for a steep climb. Meet at the trail head on the north side of Rt. 42 in Bethany.  It is about 1 mile west of the intersection of Rts. 63 and 42.  Leader: John Triana; 203-758-7203 or  jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net <mailto:jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net>
Branford Supply Ponds, Branford.  Saturday, October 24, 2015, 8:00 am. Free and open to the public.  Join us at this first-rate birding spot to look for fall migrants and resident species. The area has varied habitats with woods and shrubby areas, and a variety of waterfowl can be found in the ponds. Meet at the Supply Ponds parking lot on Chestnut Street.  Leader: Maria Stockmal: 203-305-3728 or  m.stockmal at snet.net <mailto:m.stockmal at snet.net>.

Fargeorge Wildlife Preserve, Quinnipiac River, New Haven, CT.  Saturday, Oct 31, 2015, 8:00 a.m.  Free and open to the public.  This is a joint trip with the New Haven Land Trust. Join us as we visit the Trust’s property along the Quinnipiac River.  With its varied habitat, this location is a good place to see raptors, shorebirds, and waterfowl. Sightings here have included Snow Goose, Bald Eagle, and American Woodcock. Directions: Go south on Quinnipiac Ave. from Rte. 80. Turn right just past the RR overpass and go through the gate onto the property.  Leader: Mike Horn: 203-288-1891 or mfhorn at att.net.

Thanks,

Larry Bausher

West Haven