[CT Birds] Purple Gallinule

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 1 23:40:58 EDT 2015

The discussion is one that involves two strongly held points of view, the kind of positions that are very unlikely to be changed by whatever the other side puts forth. Chris has very aptly stated one side (which for the record I agree with). To me the other point of view involves the compassionate position that a fellow creature deserves help. However, as Chris states well, a conservation argument does not really hold up well for the rehab side. Other than probably for some critically endangered species, there's no way that rehabbing a single bird will have any impact on its species' population. And that's where the philosophical divide occurs - the emphasis on populations vs individuals (and for a final editorial comment, humans are unkind to populations but nature is very unkind to individuals).
Greg HanisekWaterbury