[CT Birds] [NOSbird] Purple gallinule

Shaun Martin birdj510 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 10:25:19 EDT 2015

There is certainly nothing wrong with helping a critter in need, and I
believe if this were a "sexier" species more people would be in the
category of rehab. But you have to think, this bird is so far off course,
away from its natural habits, there is most likely something wrong with its
internal wiring.

If this bird is so far from its natural range, it's most likely not
supposed to survive and carry on its genetic makeup. That being said, if
you can easily capture this bird legally, without destroying existing
habitat in the process, and have permanent housing to place him, go for it.
It could become a great education tool, and perhaps help its species and
others by bringing awareness to bird declines. But if the goal is to
ultimately bring it back to its natural haunts, my guess is it'll just end
up off course again and most likely perish.

Shaun Martin