[CT Birds] Aging Golden Eagles

julian hough jrhough1 at snet.net
Fri Oct 2 13:11:29 EDT 2015

Dana's report of a Golden Eagle at LHP reminded me of an enlightening conversation I had recently with friend, and raptor guru, Jerry Liguori on aging Golden Eagles. While a bird showing an obvious white tail base and white carpal flashes can be aged  as a juvenile (or older), a bird that lacks these field marks is not necessarily an adult. The pattern and color to the bases of some of the tail feathers, best seen from above and under close viewing, are important for accurate aging. These are unlikely to be seen well enough on any Golden Eagles migrating in CT. Some information here to be gleaned, but from a recording point of view, we should perhaps assume age unknown when recording any non-juvenile Golden Eagles.
https://www.aba.org/birding/v36n3p278.pdfhttp://utahbirds.org/featarts/2008/AgeingGoldenEagles.htm
Regards,
Julian Julian Hough New Haven, CT 06519 www.naturescapeimages.wordpress.com