[CT Birds] Galinule rehab

John Mitchell northernsawwhet at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 21:25:02 EDT 2015

Don, I appreciate and totally agree with your response.  It is clear that helping one Purple Gallinule here in the northeast is not going to affect the survival of its species or take away from helping threatened and endangered species.  However, it is nice to do something to help a bird that is over a thousand miles from home, if we can, especially since many of us will readily travel 50 or 100 miles to see it so we can observe it and/or add it to one or more of our birding lists.

(However, I am also concerned about how easy it will be for someone to capture it without additional injury--some sort of self tripping drop cage may work the best, some rails are banded for various research projects so if anyone is willing and able to take on such a project it can be done successfully)

John Mitchell
Cranston, RI

Sent from my iPad