[CT Birds] Mansfield Commonfield

Steve Morytko smorytko at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 3 02:50:45 EDT 2015

I visited the area where the Purple Gallinule was discovered yesterday afternoon from 1:30-2:30p and again today from 2-3p and again 3:30-4:15p but did not see the bird. It may still be there but the area has significantly more water now which might make many hard-to-see areas in this space more attractive. In any case, those mudflats should be much more fluid now (read sink deep!). Based on how well I've seen the bird move multiple times (flapping both wings rapidly and running) when it seems startled, any attempts to capture it would be an exercise in futility ... if it's even there anymore. There is a LOT of 3' high vegetation and brush it can quickly disappear into and it's a rather large space. It would be virtually impossible to sneak up on this bird.
So has anyone actually seen the bird recently? I've not seen any posts with positive reports and recent eBird reports are all from days ago. A woman I met this afternoon said that she saw it yesterday morning. Anyone else?
You may be interested to know that yesterday as I was leaving I spotted an adult Bald Eagle circling high about 1/8 of a mile away undoubtedly with a full view of the marsh. Late today while I was there Chris and I spotted a Cooper's Hawk and Chris noted it had a full gullet.
But the visit was worthwhile today I managed to see an Osprey (fly by) and a late Northern Waterthrush (in the marsh and again from about 6' from inside the hide) along with a Palm and Yellow-rumped Warblers and Swamp Sparrow. Chris saw a Lincoln's Sparrow too.
Steve Steve Morytko Ashford, CT