[CT Birds] Winter Finch Forecast

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Mon Sep 28 11:49:15 EDT 2015

The Winter Finch Forecast is out!

Each winter we all hope for an abundance of birds from the far north visiting our state (and our feeders!).  This depends on food supplies...  abundance and scarcity by location and food type, all turned into a forecast of what species will be seen where.  The Winter Finch Forecast is produced by a Canadian ornithologist each year, consolidating countless sources of information into a succinct report for birders.  While it has a distinctly Canadian focus, as one would expect, the value of it does not end at the border.

I note in passing that it talks of higher numbers of Evening Grosbeaks due to a spruce budworm outbreak, and just today we had a report of Evening Grosbeak at a Connecticut feeder.

Good birding!

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT