[CT Birds] Possible Clay-colored Sparrow

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Sep 30 13:44:27 EDT 2015

I just had a very pale Spizella sparrow fly up out of the feed plot as I came into the office.  A couple of shots aren't really diagnostic (or maybe they are), but the bird does appear to be lacking prominent eye crescents, has a strong malar, moustachial and sub- moustachial stripes and appears to be overall quite pale.  Last seen hanging out in the yews along the south side of the office.  A couple of poor photos obtained.

Also, Scott reported several hundred terns feeding off the point on the incoming tide.  Maybe we'll get a show again on the outgoing tide.

Oh and Harley is still here and looking really great.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road