[CT Birds] Stratford Point Kingbirds and weather

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Wed Sep 30 14:11:32 EDT 2015

I really think Patrick's bird was a Clay-colored Sparrow, and while
unsuccessfully looking for it for a few minutes I came up with not one
but two EASTERN KINGBIRDS feeding now that the rain has stopped and the
cool air is filtering in. I'll post some shots of them later once I go
through my photos tonight. A Common Loon flew down now that the good
flow is in place, and perhaps other birds will take advantage of the
winds in the next day or two around additional rain.

It's a busy place here, and it looks to get busier. Joaquin is parked
and strengthening, and when it turns towards us it may be able to thread
the needle between an east coast low and an Atlantic high, steering
right into the Mid-Atlantic on a similar sort of track to Sandy. That's
very speculative, and there is a lot of model spread for a tropical
cyclone that has already defied predictions. However, it seems like we
stand at least a possible chance of moving the northeast quadrant - the
area with the most wind and birds - towards us in Connecticut as it
comes up. As always, to get a powerful hurricane or tropical storm here
it needs to move north fast once it starts, and this also plays a role
in bringing rare birds up with it. We'll see...

Scott

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator