[CT Birds] Lighthouse Point Hawkwatch, Thursday, 115

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Oct 1 21:52:35 EDT 2015

167 raptors total. Wind stayed east of north all day, so not as  good as
I'd hoped, but once they got started, not too bad either. I didn't see a  bird
from 6:30 to at least 8:30.
56 Osprey and 49 Sharpies, 17 Coopers hawks, 14 Amer Kestrels,  9 Merlins,
4 Bald Eagles, 4 Northern harriers, 3 Peregrine Falcons and 3  unidentified.
Our Merlin total is over double last year at this time. And I  had no doubt
on any of mine today. Other than one chasing Tree Swallows  early, all were
clearly going.
Probably 1000 Tree Swallows, easily, large tightly packed  flocks coming
over. Hard to tell if they were repeats or not.
I have never seen consistent northeast winds like this  before.

Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct.
mntncougar at aol.com