[CT Birds] [NOSbird] Purple gallinule

Carole cdonagher at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 1 22:01:58 EDT 2015

I wild note that a permit is not required to capture an injured or orphaned wild bird and bring it promptly to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator.  No Good Samaritan clause is in play here.

Also, a wild bird that cannot fly IS considered badly injured, since it cannot survive the winter in that condition.

The challenge here is that it is easier said than done to capture an injured bird which has any flight capability at all.

But, having witnessed (through volunteering) the successful rehabilitation of many migratory birds by those who have received the training and have the experience to do so, I would hope that someone will attempt to capture it and bring it into rehabilitation.

In my opinion, wIldlife has enough challenges with loss of habitat, avoiding car/window collisions and dog/cat attacks, as well as other human-caused threats, for us to do nothing.

I would hope that someone who is able and has some basic equipment (e.g. Long handled net, towels, cat carrier etc.) will be able to capture the bird and bring it to a licensed rehabilitator. I read elsewhere that Jayne Neville, an experienced migratory bird rehabilitator, has offered to take the bird in for rehabilitation.

Carole Donagher

Sent from my iPad