[CT Birds] [NOSbird] Purple gallinule

wingsct at juno.com wingsct at juno.com
Fri Oct 2 07:33:57 EDT 2015

The arguments for "letting nature take its course" and "it's only one birdwhich is insignificant, meaningless to overall populations" are outdatedcop-outs. Otherwise, the Bald Eagle, Peregrine Falcon, and other DDT-affectedspecies would have become extinct without human intervention.  Likewisefor the California Condor and countless other species. If this Gallinule can be rescued (permits are not required for rescuesprovided the bird is taken to a licensed rehabilitator or vet within hours),and proves to be non-releasable, it can serve as a valuable educationambassador to convey the immeasurable importance of conservationof habitats and the species that depend upon them. I know of one potential placement that could become a permanentresidence for the gallinule.  Whoever takes it in for rehab can contactme off-list for more information. The Earth needs much healing and more compassion for all livingbeings. Meredith SampsonDirector, WILD WINGS, INC.Old Greenwich