[CT Birds] Galinule rehab

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Oct 2 10:05:51 EDT 2015

I will put myself in the column in favor of  attempting to  rehab the bird
if it can be done without a ridiculous amount of effort.
I must say I never thought too much about this sort of thing  until a few
years ago when the Simsbury Calliope Hummer was allowed to freeze to  death
in the name of letting Nature take its course, even though the bird was,  by
all estimations, perfectly healthy until the really frigid cold arrived.
That  bird was effectively trapped here by humans who fed it until it was too
far  away from an environment it could survive in . The whole episode has
haunted me  ever since.
I have zero knowledge of how to capture such a bird, let alone  with
anything to do with rehabbing it,  but since I only live a few miles  from the
site I will volunteer to help with such an effort to the extent that I  can.
That might include breaking a trail through the brush to the area where the
bird usually is, but I don't know if whoever is in charge of that area in
Mansfield would allow that. Perhaps a more practical approach would be to use
a  rubber raft or kayak(s) to try and get near it, since I assume the pond
must now  have a few inches of water. If the traps that have been mentioned
are available,  that might really be the best way.
If I can assist, please contact me
Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct.
mntncougar at aol.com