[CT Birds] Red Phalarope - New Jersey and birding small world

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 5 17:02:45 EDT 2015

 I received in a email today, from a former federal government colleague of mine in Allentown, NJ,  a report of a red phalarope that was found today at the pond by this office in Allentown, NJ. where I once worked. The email included a report from a NJ birder with great photos of the phalarope. When I worked at this office in the late 1980's and early 1990's a colleague and I had  an office bird list, which got to be respectable partly because of the variety of habitat by our office. We used to joke when we went birding at lunch at a nearby state wildlife refugee that we would get the "good" birds when we returned to the office.  Some of the good birds we found at this office pond where the red phalarope was found today included a gull-billed tern, a horn grebe in breeding plumage, and little blue herons. One year grasshopper sparrows breed in the field by the above pond. I could hear the grasshopper sparrows then, not now.
David W BabingtonWashington, CT