[CT Birds] Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 11:02:52 EDT 2015

My late record for RT Hummers in the yard was broken today (previous late
record was Oct.7th).  These youngsters coming through now are first
attracted to the Cuphea and Black and Blue Salvia, then find the feeders.
They harass the Chickadees who like to drink from the ant moats, but
otherwise are more tolerant of their fellow Hummers.  My Pineapple Sage is
beginning to bloom now.  I'll leave the feeders up another week for
stragglers, then take them down for the winter.  The Pineapple Sage may
attract vagrant Selasphorus species and it will die with the first hard
frost so they would move on then, if I'm lucky enough to attract them.

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut