[CT Birds] East Rock Park, New Haven: Fall Migrants

Kimberly Jannarone kimberlyjannarone at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 11 07:32:30 EDT 2015

Hello Birders,

(This is my first post, although I've been following the list since I moved here from the West Coast in September.)

The last two days at East Rock Park have seen a variety of warblers.  On Saturday an Sunday, 90-minute walks along the river in the late afternoon have turned up: PINE warbler, two BLACK-THROATED GREENS, two NORTHERN PARULAS, one NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH, one OVENBIRD, and, most surprising, one male BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER that was consistently foraging on the leafy path in front of me.  Handfuls of YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS have started appearing along the river.

Other goodies included one BLUE-HEADED VIREO foraging just above my head in a tree over a footbridge, a CAROLINA WREN peeping out of some ivy, and one RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET chasing another, red crest raised so high that I could see it with my bare eyes.

Great birding,
Kimberly Jannarone
New Haven