[CT Birds] Stratford Point birds 10/5

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Mon Oct 5 21:07:09 EDT 2015

Patrick's update on the Stratford Point waters included everything, but
I will add a negative report for Harley both yesterday and today. He
seemed to be nearing the end of his molt. Perhaps he moved on after
Saturday afternoon? We'll see.

As for land birds, today's highlight was a juvenile YELLOW-BELLIED
SAPSUCKER, which is a first for me at Stratford Point, a first for the
eBird hotspot, and to my knowledge from writing the management plan for
the site several years ago, a probable first for Stratford Point
overall. There were dozens of Song and Savannah Sparrow, a bunch of
White-throated Sparrow, several Eastern Towhee and Swamp Sparrow, plus a
Field Sparrow along Prospect Drive. A couple House Wren continue along
with plenty of Eastern Phoebe, a few Palm Warbler, Common Yellowthroat,
and Yellow-rumped Warbler. No sign of the Clay-colored Sparrow today

It's going to be an exciting month there.

Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator
311 Curtis Street
Jamestown, NY 14701