[CT Birds] Sparrow

Jim Pfeifer Jim.Pfeifer at erm.com
Mon Oct 12 10:18:38 EDT 2015

I walked the corn fields north of Durkee Road, near the intersection with Four Bridges Road, Somers, on Sunday - 10/11/15, 3:00-4:30.  There was plenty of sparrow activity.  During this 90-min walk, I had:

2 Lincoln's, 1 White Crowned, 11 White-throated, 16 Song, 4 swamp, 2 field, 17 Savanah (still waiting for FOS Junco, Tree and Fox).  Also  1 Northern Harrier gliding over the fields, and a perched immature Coopers that let me walk up to within 40-50 feet of her (big bird) and watch her for 3-4 minutes before taking off.  Probably my best/closest look at a Coopers Hawk ever.

This northern CT location is a very reliable spot to see sparrows in the fall and over winter.  The cut corn fields, shrubby/grassy margins and fragmented forest edges create great Sparrow habitat, during migration and for over-wintering birds (had 10 species there last fall/early winter).  Unfortunately, there are houses under construction on Durkee, and this great birding area is going to be slowly turned into residential property in the years to come....

Jim