[CT Birds] Hammo construction: anther view...

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 10:00:30 EDT 2015

Thank you Jerry for your positive and well reasoned stance on this.  COA is
working behind the scenes with DEEP officials (Tom Tyler, Director of Parks
& Recreation and Susan Whalen, Deputy Commissioner for Environmental
Protection) to try and address such issues as mitigation of the damage done
by construction, park access and other pressing topics.  To that end we
have assembled a committee which will begin work soon with Ann Kilpatrick,
District Wildlife Biologist for the Hammonasset area planning bird friendly
enhancements such as shorebird "puddles," seed plots and whatever else
these experts can devise to attempt to restore and enhance the park for
birds and other wildlife.  *Be aware, these enhancements will be for the
benefit of the birds and not for birder's convenience*, although exact
locations have not yet been determined.  We have been consulted about which
species of trees to plant to replace the "Crossbill Pines" which have now
all succumbed to disease.  I do think they are trying to take our concerns
seriously and that we should try to be constructive in return.

Our initial response from DEEP has been positive, even enthusiastic,
although implementation will tell us where wildlife falls in the DEEP
hierarchy.  We are encouraged that Ann Kilpatrick has been assigned to work
with our Mitigation Committee consisting of Margaret Rubega, PhD (State
Ornithologist) Chris Elphick, PhD (UConn's Department of Ecology and
Evolutionary Biology), Patrick Comins, (Audubon Connecticut's director of
Bird Conservation), Frank Mantlik, (COA Board Member and member of the
Avian Records Committee of Connecticut), Frank Gallo, CTConnecticut
Audubon's Associate Director at Milford Point) and Buzz Devine (Co-author
of the *Connecticut Birding Guide*).

On the early access for birder's, we have also been in discussions on this
issue with them and they tell us it is being considered.  Solutions in my
mind range from simply showing binoculars at the gate to buying a
Connecticut Duck Stamp ($13.00, well worth it) but we have a ways to go on
this, sad to say.

COA is a member of the Governor"s IBA Task Force and we have a meeting
today during which I will raise these and other issues of concern to our
membership.  I'll report back after the meeting on what occurred.  Please
know that we are involved and working hard to resolve these complex issues.

Kathy Van Der Aue
​, President COA​

Southport, Connecticut