[CT Birds] Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Jim Pfeifer Jim.Pfeifer at erm.com
Tue Oct 13 13:24:34 EDT 2015

In my Somers back yard last evening, I watched an immature YBSS sallying out for insects about 40 feet up in an old dying Ash tree, along with an immature RBWP who was also sallying.  First YBSS for my yard and 100th bird on my yard list (actually the furthest East I have ever seen a YBSS). I have never witnessed such behavior by either species.  Was funny, because a Phoebe was also fly catching in another part of the yard, and the difference in technique/grace was humorous.

Jim