[CT Birds] Eisenhower Park, Lake Wepawaug & Wright's Pond

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 11:15:03 EDT 2015

​10/15  Birding in my local area:
Eisenhower Park, Milford (8:45am-10:05am) around the pond was teeming with
birds.  There have been a lot of changes, clearing around the pond and
making trails through the park.  Whether this is good or bad, I can't say
except that I saw many more birds than I have ever seen there (maybe
because of migration?).  The pond area is just more open but was left with
lots of vegetation.
Yellow Rumped Warblers- I stopped counting at 36 because they were all over
the lily pads and pond grasses and edges;  6 Pine Warblers, 1 Common
Yellowthroat, 7 Chipping sparrows, 10 Song sparrows, 2 Savannah sparrows, 5
White throated sparrows and 2 sparrows I couldn't identify.
A flock of 27 Red winged blackbirds(is that late?) all feeding in top of
tree on back edge of pond, 1 Solitary Sandpiper first sleeping, then
walking & feeding on the lily pads, and
I believe 1 Rusty Blackbird (palish black/brown with palish black head)
tail was shorter than for a grackle and bill not as pointed.  This bird was
following the Solitary Sandpiper around for at least 5 minutes.  1 Red
Tailed Hawk, 1 Cooper's hawk, 11 House finches, Blue jays, 3 Cardinals, 2
Starlings.
At Lake Wepawaug Orange,- rough count of 176 Canada Geese with 2 that were
considerably smaller, smaller heads and shorter bills, and 1 Pileated
Woodpecker surprised me as it flew over the lake and landed on a tree.
Wright's Pond is still extremely low but had 46 Canada Geese, 4 Song
sparrows and 1 Towhee.
Bev Propen, Orange