[CT Birds] RBME Stratford Point 10/16 and thoughts

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Fri Oct 16 22:43:12 EDT 2015

Frank's post reminded me that early this morning I had a FOS
Red-breasted Merganser on the N side of Stratford Point. Brant were
indeed moving in small groups the last two days, and I had four Mallard
fly in this AM. Last week I had a FOS White-winged Scoter. We have had a
few Common Loon and a couple Red-throated Loon. It's slowly beginning
and the dramatic freeze should push them all here rapidly over the next
week.

Stratford Point continually amazes me in that we can have people visit,
or pop outside from the office at different times,  and find a
completely different set of birds in such a small area. This is expected
for tidal species, but it happens with songbirds nonstop. It's been like
that for years. I can't emphasize enough that if you visit you have to
keep cycling through species and give it some time..you may come up with
something no one has seen yet or finally find what you were looking for
all of a sudden. Walking in circles for hours is far more productive
than you would expect. It's how I dug out the Blue Grosbeak yesterday
and many other nice birds there over the years.

One last thought - yesterday Patrick thought he heard a Tufted Titmouse
distantly behind us, and I said it was probably a Mockingbird. He was
right, I was wrong, and there it was a minute later. This is a rare bird
on the site and assuredly a migrant. I often get a few there in the
spring, and usually one or two in the fall, all in expected windows. In
2012 I had continual bunches of them coming through Stratford Point from
late September through early December, peaking with a flock of 26
individuals on October 17! It made me think of irruptions in general and
how little we have seen here in terms of typical irruptive species so
far. I have yet to see a Purple Finch, Pine Siskin, or Red-breasted
Nuthatch. We'll see if anything picks up with this frigid cooperative
air, but it doesn't seem to be our year for the earlier ones.

Scott

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator