[CT Birds] Branford Hawk Watch

pwolter6 at earthlink.net pwolter6 at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 17 19:51:55 EDT 2015

10/17/15 Ecology Park, Branford. Last fall when Ecology Park opened on top of the old town dump, with 360 degree views, Noble Proctor said this would be a great place to do a Hawk Watch next October. So today Maureen and I made good on our promise to our friend, and from the gazebo on top of the hill from 845 until 3 we counted 130 migrating raptors. Including 47 Black Vultures, 22 Coopers, 17 Sharpies, 2 Northern Harriers, 1 Broadwing, 1 Red-shoulder, 6 Red-tails, 2 Bald Eagles, 6 Kestrels and a Merlin. Also seen were a juvenile Red-headed Woodpecker, 4 Eastern Meadowlarks and loose groups of Tree Swallows passing all day. After the Hawk Watch we saw 6 species of sparrow on the way down the hill, including Vesper and Lincoln's.

Paul and Maureen Wolter
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T