[CT Birds] Dickcissel photos, Goshawk, Magnolia

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Sun Oct 18 17:45:08 EDT 2015

Photos from wonderfully crippling views of the Stratford greenway
Dickcissel: http://rtpi.org/dickcissel-spiza-americana/

Right after I posted it Tom and I saw a Northern Goshawk passing through
slowly over the treatment plant, being pursued by some of the local
Starlings and Pigeons. We also had a late Magnolia Warbler there after a
snow (!) shower. A couple of White-crowned Sparrows were the sparrow

Stratford Point was extremely birdy early this morning with a Brown
Creeper, four more White-crowned Sparrows (one adult), and dozens and
dozens of the expected common sparrows. The site's second Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker came a couple weeks after the first. Kinglets were abundant.
There were plenty of Yellow-rumps, Hermit Thrush, and Eastern Phoebe. A
Blackpoll Warbler was there again today. Offshore had a lot of Brant and
hundreds of Laughing Gulls, though nothing notable beyond at least 25
American Oystercatcher continuing.

The McKinney Refuge had the same exact mix of expected sparrows,
kinglets and warblers mid to late morning with nothing notable. No
Vesper, Lincoln's or Grasshopper anywhere for us today. Keep looking for
rare western birds...more have to be here somewhere.

Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator
311 Curtis Street
Jamestown, NY 14701