[CT Birds] Hudsonian Godwit and Caspian Tern, Milford Point; Orange-cr Warbler, Westport Tree Farm, 10/20

mresch8702 at aol.com mresch8702 at aol.com
Tue Oct 20 20:57:40 EDT 2015

It was a great day birding in CT even tough I missed my key target.

Started at dawn at the CT Audubon Tree Farm with Tina Green's help to try for the Painted Bunting.  I spent 4 hours there with no luck on the Bunting, though it was a very birdy spot, getting 55 species.  Highlight was an Orange-crowned Warbler that gave some brief views.  There are lots of vines there covered in berries, so if that's the Bunting's preferred food, it could hopefully still be around.

After some work midday I headed to Milford Point at 4 for what I thought would be just a little light birding at the end of the day.  There I ran into Steve and Charla Spector looking out on the last remaining sandbars on the rising tide.  Good sized flocks of Dunlins, Sanderlings, and Black-bellied Plovers were on the sandbars along with about 18 Oystercatchers, and a smattering of gulls.  At one point Charla asked what this bird was with a red bill - it was a Caspian Tern.  A few minutes later a Peregrine flew overhead and flushed everything.  I was watching one of the flushed shorebird flocks in flight when I noticed a larger bird in the group with a white rump and dark tail - a Hudsonian Godwit.  Over the next hour we watched it move from sandbar to sandbar, eventually coming quite close to shore.

Both the Tern and Godwit were new for my CT statelist - sure didn't expect to get 1 let alone 2 new statebirds after dipping on the Bunting.

Mike Resch
www.statebirding.blogspot.com
Pepperell, MA