[CT Birds] Sherwood Island Highlights

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 23 20:21:14 EDT 2015

I planned to spend a few hours at Sherwood Island SP today and ended up birding for almost 10 hours and tallying 78 species.I covered almost the entire park including scoping Long Island Sound,walking the edge of the marsh at high tide,birding the west woods and also the very east end.I ended the day by hawk watching from the model airplane field which was fantastic. I had no idea Sherwood could produce so many hawks at this time of year with strong NW winds. I think I'll have to do this every year from now on.
Here is my eBird checklist for the day!

Sherwood Island State Park
Oct 23, 2015
7:59 AM
3.00 miles
589 Minutes
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Sunny,NW winds 10-20 all day,50 degrees. In part with AJ Hand,Jory Teltser,& Alex Burdo later in the afternoon for a short time.
Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 1.0.1 Build 5

58 Canada Goose
4 Wood Duck
37 American Black Duck
3 Mallard
3 Bufflehead
1 Common Loon
17 Double-crested Cormorant
3 Great Blue Heron
6 Great Egret
1 Snowy Egret
3 Black-crowned Night-Heron -- In cedars across the Mill pond
8 Black Vulture
54 Turkey Vulture
11 Northern Harrier -- 1 gray ghost
12 Sharp-shinned Hawk
9 Cooper's Hawk -- Two individuals in the park hunting,one almost flew into me. Others were migrants
2 Accipiter sp.
1 Bald Eagle -- 2:15 it appeared from the east and put hundreds of gull up before moving out over the sound and south.First year bird.
8 Red-tailed Hawk
7 Killdeer
1 Spotted Sandpiper -- In marsh behind nature center at 9:33am on a falling tide
2 Greater Yellowlegs
38 Laughing Gull
16 Ring-billed Gull
70 Herring Gull
1 Lesser Black-backed Gull -- At very east end of park near Burying Hill Beach.
13 Great Black-backed Gull
27 Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)
8 Mourning Dove
1 Great Horned Owl -- Male in deciduous tree
3 Red-bellied Woodpecker
3 Downy Woodpecker
2 Northern Flicker
2 Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)
11 American Kestrel -- Model airplane field
7 Merlin
2 Peregrine Falcon
8 Eastern Phoebe
1 Blue-headed Vireo -- 11:32 on west end platform trail
10 Blue Jay
17 American Crow
3 Fish Crow
2 Common Raven -- East end at 4:16
9 Horned Lark
100 Tree Swallow -- Push of migrants around 3:15
2 Cave Swallow -- Spotted while hawk watching and watching for swallows from 2:40-5:40pm at the model airplane field. Swallow with a squarish tail,rufous throat and rump similar in color unlike a Cliff Swallow.Picked up in scope at 4:50pm while checking through Tree Swallows that were moving through from 2:40pm and into the late afternoon with my bins.
19 Black-capped Chickadee
12 Tufted Titmouse
4 White-breasted Nuthatch
1 Brown Creeper
3 Marsh Wren
7 Golden-crowned Kinglet
3 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
9 Hermit Thrush
31 American Robin
3 Gray Catbird -- Near bridge near nature center
3 Northern Mockingbird
100 European Starling
20 American Pipit
1 Common Yellowthroat -- East end of park
2 Palm Warbler (Yellow)
50 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)
7 Nelson's Sparrow
12 Chipping Sparrow
36 Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)
27 White-throated Sparrow
2 Vesper Sparrow
20 Savannah Sparrow
42 Song Sparrow
21 Swamp Sparrow
2 Eastern Towhee -- Just when I thought the towhees had moved on,I heard one at 11:30 near the west side viewing platform
8 Northern Cardinal
750 Red-winged Blackbird -- Flyovers
3 Eastern Meadowlark -- Flushed from marsh behind model airplane field
40 Common Grackle
150 Brown-headed Cowbird
1 blackbird sp. -- Probable yellow-headed blackbird
6 American Goldfinch

Number of Taxa: 78

Tina Green
Sent from my iPhone