[CT Birds] LPP Friday Final: 735 raptors of 14 species

Dana Campbell dana.l.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 21:28:09 EDT 2015

10/23 - New Haven - Lighthouse Point Park Hawkwatch - 735 migrating Raptors
of 14 species counted including:  1 GOLDEN EAGLE, 330 Turkey Vultures (!),
190 Sharp-shinned Hawks, 96 Cooper's Hawks, 24 Northern Harriers, 21
American Kestrels, 15 Red-tailed Hawks, 9 Osprey, 9 Bald Eagles, 7 Merlins,
6 Red-shouldered Hawks, 2 PEREGRINE FALCONS, 1 BLACK VULTURE, AND 1
Broadwinged Hawk.  23 Unidentified raptors of various kinds.

Small birds were abundant, many staying in the park because of the strong
winds.  Notable sightings were 2 American Pipits, 66 Eastern Bluebirds, 2
Kildeer, 2760 Red-winged Blackbirds, 140 American Robins, and hundreds of
Tree Swallows.

Tomorrow promises to be light NE winds, which should continue the
migration, but at a somewhat slower pace than today.

The Rev. Dana L. Campbell
Priest in Charge, Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, Middletown CT
dana.l.campbell at gmail.com

"I don't feed the birds because they need me; I feed the birds because I
need them.”
― Kathi Hutton