[CT Birds] LPP Friday Final: 735 raptors of 14 species

Dana Campbell dana.l.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 21:28:09 EDT 2015

10/23 - New Haven - Lighthouse Point Park Hawkwatch - 735 migrating Raptors
of 14 species counted including:  1 GOLDEN EAGLE, 330 Turkey Vultures (!),
190 Sharp-shinned Hawks, 96 Cooper's Hawks, 24 Northern Harriers, 21
American Kestrels, 15 Red-tailed Hawks, 9 Osprey, 9 Bald Eagles, 7 Merlins,
6 Red-shouldered Hawks, 2 PEREGRINE FALCONS, 1 BLACK VULTURE, AND 1
Broadwinged Hawk.  23 Unidentified raptors of various kinds.

Small birds were abundant, many staying in the park because of the strong
winds.  Notable sightings were 2 American Pipits, 66 Eastern Bluebirds, 2
Kildeer, 2760 Red-winged Blackbirds, 140 American Robins, and hundreds of
Tree Swallows.

Tomorrow promises to be light NE winds, which should continue the
migration, but at a somewhat slower pace than today.

--
The Rev. Dana L. Campbell
Priest in Charge, Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, Middletown CT
dana.l.campbell at gmail.com

"I don't feed the birds because they need me; I feed the birds because I
need them.”
― Kathi Hutton