[CT Birds] Trout Brook Valley Preserve highlights

Jeremy Nance nance.jeremy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 13:12:24 EDT 2015

Highlights at the orchard at Trout Brook today were a LAPLAND LONGSPUR that
circled over a plowed field rattling repeatedly, a pair of VESPER SPARROWS
feeding in the (now dead) corn fields, great close looks at a GRASSHOPPER
SPARROW at the south end of the orchard near the blueberry bushes, a
NORTHERN GOSHAWK that buzzed by me and plowed through a group of crows (to
no avail), and a RUSTY BLACKBIRD.  The grasshopper sparrow gave me the
closest perched looks I've ever had of this species.  It popped up out of a
freshly mowed border and landed on the lowest wire of the fence 15 feet
from me.  Of note, I had zero Phoebes today after seeing 45 at the same
spot last weekend.  What a difference a week makes!

Also of interest at nearby Aspetuck Reservoir, a Brant feeding on the
grassy dike by the fountain. This is my first for this inland spot.

Jeremy Nance
Easton, CT