[CT Birds] LHP 2 days worth

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 27 18:48:41 EDT 2015

I did the official hawk count at Lighthouse Point in New Haven Monday and filled in as the counter today. Despite northerly winds Monday, cloudless skies and very light wind speed produced just 41 raptors plus about 30 Turkey Vultures and 2 Black Vultures that weren't showing any strong inclination to migrate. In addition to the birds mentioned by Frank Mantlik, two of us (GH, Sol Satin) were able to get on a very late (but not record late) Eastern Kingbird. Most numerous passage migrants by far were Red-winged Blackbird at c 2200. We also had one flyover Dickcissel and a few American Pipits and Purple Finches.
Today (Tuesday) was very similar, but the wind was a bit stiffer and the cloud cover excellent - resulting in 78 raptors. Probably most noteworthy were 9 of the increasingly scarce Northern Harriers.
Greg HanisekWaterbury