[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Schedule for November

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Sun Nov 1 19:42:03 EST 2015

Folks, please note the following schedule of November NHBC activities:

Indoor Meeting:

Thursday, November 12, 2015 — Tom Wessels: Reading the Forested Landscape.  Whitney Center Cultural Arts Center, 200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden.  Free and open to the public. Notice:  Bird Book Tag Sale at the meeting.  Based on Tom’s book, Reading the Forested Landscape, A Natural History of New England, this program introduces us to approaches that we can use to interpret a forest’s history while wandering through it. Using evidence such as the shapes of trees, scars on their trunks, the pattern of decay in stumps, the construction of stone walls, and the lay of the land, it is possible to  unravel   complex   stories   etched   into  our  forested   landscape. This process could easily be called forest forensics, since it is quite similar to interpreting a crime scene. In the words of this eminent ecologist and author, emeritus professor of environmental studies, and leader of ecology and sustainability workshops for more than 30 years: “It is wonderful to know nature through one-on-one encounters with other organisms, but it is perhaps more empowering to gain a fuller understanding of the patterns that have shaped its landscapes. Reading the landscape is not just about identifying landscape patterns; more importantly, it is an interactive narrative that involves humans and nature.  For those interested in enhancing their sense of place, I know of no better way than by becoming intimately acquainted with their local forests and the fascinating stories they tell.” Social half-hour at 7:00, program begins at 7:30.  For more information: 203-331-6067 or www.newhavenbirdclub.org.

Field Trips:

NHBC 23rd Annual Winter Feeder Survey.  November 1, 2015 through March 31, 2016.  This is a yearly census to determine the number and frequency of birds visiting feeders in the greater New Haven area.  You are invited to watch and record the activity at your feeder at least once a week for the entire time period.  Contact Peter Vitali: 203.288.0621, or vitali_peter_e at sbcglobal.net for more information.

First Wednesday Walk:  Sherwood Island State Park, Westport.  Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 8:00 a.m.  Free and open to the public.  Join us on a mid-week trip to this outstanding birding spot on Long Island Sound. We will check the Sound for loons, grebes, goldeneye, and other sea ducks.  The fields are a good place to look for Snow Buntings, Horned Larks, and sparrows.  Drive into the park and meet at the main parking lot.  Leader and contact: Tina Green: 203-247-2660 or tina at renaissancestudios.com <mailto:tina at renaissancestudios.com>.

Lake Chamberlain & Cooper and Calabresi Farms, Bethany.  Saturday, November 14, 2015, 7:30 am.  Free and open to the public.  Join us on this fall walk to see what can be found at these picturesque locations.  Lake Chamberlain, a Regional Water Authority property, has an active bluebird population, many woodpeckers, and a number of waterfowl that visit the lake before heading further south when the lake freezes over. The walk at Lake Chamberlain is relatively easy. After birding the RWA property, we will visit the adjoining Cooper and Calabresi Farms.  Forty years ago,  the  families of Peter Cooper, a noted New Haven environmental lawyer, and Guido Calabresi, a federal judge and past dean of the Yale Law School, purchased a 100-acre farm near Lake Chamberlain. The farm fields and woods have been maintained, providing habitat for a variety of woodland, edge, and grassland species.  We will enter and bird in the extensive lower areas, then head up the hillside for more birding and spectacular views for miles and miles around.  Hiking to the top field may be strenuous for some. People who decide that the climb might be too difficult can choose to stay by the lake or in the lower fields.  Meet at the parking lot on Sperry Rd. Leader: Patrick Leahy:  203-314-0566 or ptjleahy at yahoo.com <mailto:ptjleahy at yahoo.com>.

Sherwood Island State Park, Westport.  Saturday, November 21, 2015, 8:00 am.  Free and open to the public.  Spend some time at one of Fairfield County's top-notch birding locations.  We will look for a wide range of species from waterfowl to finches and everything in between. Meet at the park entrance. Leader: Tina Green: 203-247-2660 or tina at renaissancestudios.com.

Thanks,

Larry Bausher

West Haven